Proceed Logo

The credenza before and after!

 

Using Pigment Dispersions for Quick and Beautiful Furniture Updates!


 
Joe Lanucha, of Signature Wood Services, LLC, shares with us how he is able to “upsell” current clients and use his knowledge of the Proceed dispersions and variety of glaze mediums to “update” existing wood detailing without a lot of time investment… 
 
 
Joe shares:  
“The pictured credenza was an opportunity to take our glazing to another level. We were on-site doing touch-up and wood restoration for some offices. We had an existing office with a more traditional colored (multiple office furniture pieces; red cherry) finish.  
 
The client asked if there was anything we could do to take a light colored credenza (natural clear coated cherry-no pigmented color) to get it to match the existing red colored cherry office. We mixed three glaze colors (variations of red) and applied them to the underside of a removable shelf, top coated them with a clear coat (H20 based acrylic) and had the client choose a color that best matched the existing office.  
 
With color choice made, we cleaned the existing credenza with a water-based soap like detergent and white scotch brite pad. After it dried, the piece was scuffed with a maroon scotch brite pad to promote glaze adhesion (provide tooth for the glaze to stick) followed by a complete wipe down of the piece with distilled vinegar/water (20% vinegar to water) solution to remove dust, soap residue and any other surface contaminants. We find surface prep and cleaning the most important aspects to insuring a successful project.  
 
The custom glaze (GOLDEN Matte Medium-70%, GOLDEN Acrylic Glazing Liquid-15%, Proceed Low Viscosity Glaze-15%; total mixture thinned 30% by volume with distilled water and about 5 grams of dispersion per ounce of glaze to achieve the desired color) was hand applied with a spalter (broad, thin, smooth bristled) brush. The glaze was applied evenly and consistently so no brush marks could be seen. This was allowed to dry 1.5 hours, then the surface was “very lightly” de-nubbed with p400 wet/dry silicone carbide sand paper, then top coated with clear H20-based (satin sheen) acrylic.  
 
Once dry, a second topcoat was applied for durability. To be able to repeat our color formulations in the field we find it necessary to use a portable scale (battery powered gram scale, accurate to .1g). Our glaze mixtures are measured by volume and dispersions (because of tinting strength) are measured by grams. Total time for this project, including color glaze formulation was about 6 hours.  
 
This was a great alternative to having the piece completely stripped and refinished. The glaze/dispersion combination gave us the color change we needed but still gave us the transparency we wanted to let the natural grain of the cherry show through. 
 
Signature Wood Services, LLC 
Joe Lanucha; General Manager
 
For more information, please visit http://www.proceedsystem.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Dispersions or For more information, email Joe!.
 

A CONCISE, BUT COMPLETE, "TOOL KIT" OF HIGH-PERFORMANCE PAINTS, GLAZES, PIGMENT DISPERSIONS, TEXTURES, AND ANCILLARY PRODUCTS

Home :: Proceed Story :: Toolkit Design :: Products :: Where to Learn :: Where to Buy :: Community :: Contact Us
 
Proceed ® is a Registered Trademark of Golden Artist Colors, Inc.
© Golden Artist Colors, Inc.
Online Privacy Policy  
 
 
Proceed • Proceed System • Slow drying • Open time • Rough Irregular • Rough Regular • Smooth Absorbent • Smooth Translucent
Transparent Texture • Light Bodied Texture • Metallic Texture • Metallic Medium • Metallic Paint • Metallic Glaze
Clear Topcoats • Cracking Size • Clearcoats • Pigment Dispersions • Slow Drying Acrylics • Glass beads • Glass Bead Texture
Acrylic paints • Acrylic textures • Waterborne • Low VOC • Pigment • Faux • Faux painting • Decorative painting
Decorative paints • Decorate • Decorating • Remodel • Plaster • Faux Finish • Finishing • Finishes • Painting • Design Trends
Color • Color trends • Custom wall finishes • Classes • School • Venetian Plaster  • Surfaces  • Catalog • Old World finish
Contemporary finish • Stone  • Stucco • Trompe L'oeil • Mural • Muraling • Color wash • Wood graining • Marbleizing
Marbeling • Glazing • Sponge • Tint